Monday, September 17, 2007

Pitting the Masses

The Curt Jester has an interesting post on how some (including me...see below) are pitting the worst of the ordinary form of the mass against the best of the extraordinary form. He's right of course. But in my own defense, what I hope happens with the new liberalization of the ancient form of the Mass isn't necessarily that the new form will be completely done away with. It's that the horrendously bad Masses that are said like the clown Mass are discarded on the ash heap of history. A well said reverential Mass, either form, should draw us into the actuality of Heaven touching Earth. It's not entertainment. Find a parish like St. John Cantius in Chicago and assist at Mass in either the ordinary or extraordinary form, in Latin or the vernacular and tell me I'm wrong.

No comments: